Sunday, July 12, 2009

Brewer's Broad Brush: Taxes Good, Public Schools.. Not So Much

Governor Brewer told a "packed house" at Gilbert's East Valley Bible Church last Thursday the following:

1) Arizona must pass a 1 cent sales tax increase to balance the budget

2) Arizona needs a voucher system so parents can send kids to any school (private or public)

3) Arizona teachers should be paid more

4) Her rationale for #3 and #4 is that private school and home-schooled kids do better than public school kids.


Her reasoning behind supporting the tax increase is as dubious as her belief that public schools are inferior.

"It sure doesn't help my career," Brewer said. "It's not an easy thing, but it has to be done."


That "selflessness" had its desired effect on at least two voters in the crowd.

"When I came in here, I told my friends, she was not going to get my vote," said Steve Pass, 60. "I truly believe she wants to do what's right for Arizona. She's willing to take on the legislature, and they're her own party."


"She convinced me that this isn't something she's doing to try and extend her career," said Colleen Pardo. "A lot of that information was very fascinating."


Governor Brewer may turn out to be a more shrewd politician than most had expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment