Saturday, July 4, 2009

Our Kids, Our Students

I was looking through the camera today at pictures and ran across this one of my three children. They are with us at the NEA-RA this week and attending Camp NEA, a day care program, while their mom and I are attending meetings.

They absolutely love it.

It's no real surprise. My older two love school, and the youngest feels the same about the day care he attends. He starts Kindergarten in 2010, and he already talks about what he will do "when I go to school."

The older ones love being at school with their friends, but they get excited when they talk about their teachers ("Miss Martin is smarter than you, dad."), their "specials" (art, P.E., current events, music, etc.), and everyone else they interact with (we know them as ESPs).

When I look at this photo-- and think about how they talk about school-- I remember why I teach... and why I am an advocate for public schools.

My kids may be your students, and your kids may be my students, but we all want the best for them. Remember that when you are in the hot sun standing at a rally outside the legislature.

What you do matters. Now, and for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment